2019 is here! While I still feel like we missed a couple of months in 2018 (anyone else feel like the year went by way too fast??) I am also looking forward to the many exciting opportunities that lay ahead.
This time of year always has a different vibe, everyone is feeling refreshed, full of hope and positivity for the year ahead. People are still trying to stick to their New Years resolutions (hands up to those who joined a Gym in the first week of January?) Some lucky ones are even still on holidays!
Then February comes around, the kids are back at school and the routine is set for the year, people are still positive about the year that still has so much to unfold, some people have started to relax on the resolutions (just one cheat day won’t hurt right?, it’s when it’s 10 that’s the problem). February is a month for the rhythm to take hold.
March and April will be here before we know it, and come with it the Easter chocolate daze. Most resolutions are long forgotten, what was an exciting routine and rhythm for the new year has now become a mundane slog of Monday to Sunday and repeat…. And so the year goes till we hit December again and everyone starts looking positively to the year ahead.
Ever noticed it is like being stuck in the same process every year? I know I wish we could keep the refreshed positivity from January and February right through the year and I am sure many of you feel the same! To try and achieve this continued sense of positivity I have put some thought in to how we can keep this feeling all year in our professional lives, which should in turn extend to our personal as well.
- Set year long goals! Once you have your main goals break them in to monthly goals and even smaller token goals! Think of the News Year’s resolutions, when it is new you’re keen to achieve it, you work hard to make it happen. Eventually it then becomes too hard to keep going, the resolution (goal) appears to be too large to reach and you lose interest. Why not break it down.
What’s your goal for your business in 2019? Don’t be shy, let people know your dream for the year, talk openly about where you want the year to take you. By putting it out in the universe, your goal takes on a life of it’s own. People are able to support you with each step, or hold you accountable when you start to wane.
When looking a 12 month goal it can be very overwhelming, often the place to start is not obvious at first. But don’t let that deter you! Break the goal down in to the 12 months of the year, what do you need to achieve each month to make it to the end result? Then take each month and break it down to the steps you need to complete to meet that monthly goal. Suddenly it doesn’t seem so overwhelming and you can keep that renewed drive moving forward. With each step to the month’s goal achieved the yearly goal comes that step closer and your drive and positivity grows.
- Break routine! Don’t get caught in the day to day routine and forget life in meant to be fun. Book that weekend getaway, plan that family adventure… have something planned to look forward to and keep it in sight when you need to be reminded why you are doing to daily grind. Everyone needs a reward! This is especially important for business owners as it is too easy to always put the job first and if you work from home it makes it even harder to ‘leave the office’. Make sure you get your well earned me time.
- Surround yourself with the right people! The wise old saying ‘misery loves company’ is true, if everyone around it stressed and down and lost the passion for their job it will have a negative effect on you. Don’t waste your time with people that don’t see the positive each and every day. Seek out the right mind set in your team around you and allow it to grow the culture you are looking for.
- Set up your support group! No, I am not sending you to counseling, but having the support you need to reach your goals and keep the drive is important. Find the right business coach to suit your needs. Put the right team together that have the same like-minded goals for the business, have the right people hold you accountable for your mindset and actions.
- Let the year flow! No matter what we do we cannot turn back time, so it you get to June and it has all slipped to Winter routine take a deep breath and start again. Remember you can start a new mindset at any time not just New Year’s Eve.
If you would like help in putting your goals for the new year ahead in place and breaking them down to achievable tasks please let the team at Adminlink Plus know, we are happy to one of your support group!